Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Parenting


I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t know if you were a good parent or not until you child is 30. Granted, some parents are fortunate to have model kids. But kids being kids sometimes make stupid mistakes. That’s why I said you have to wait until they are 30.

If a child reaches 30 and he’s still acting like a teenager there is nothing you can do but let him go and let reality bite him in the ass. If you keep coddling him, reality will bit him when he’s 50 or later after you are gone. Who will coddle him then?

This is where my spouse and I part company. I’m heartless bastard that doesn’t care about his children and yada, yada , yada. Maybe it’s my Pentecostal upbringing but the Jews have a custom where they rent their garments as a showing of their parental disapproval. There comes a time when tough love should kick in. Coddling parents are crippling their children by constantly rescuing them.

I am blessed to have two daughters that are their Dad’s pride and joy. The majority of this success goes to my wife.

I have seen kids that are a great success in life in spite of their parents. They are the exception not the rule. I have also seen kids that are a wreck and will continue to be wrecks because parents want to be their kid’s best friend instead of being a parent.

Just remember; you have 30 years to get it right.
MADD MEXX

No comments:

Post a Comment