Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gringos, Bolillos and Americanos

Seems some “conservatives” find the term “gringo” offensive and racist. It doesn’t even come close to the “N” word. I’ve heard two different versions of how the word originated. I’ll let you Google it if you are really interested.

Bolillos (pronounced bo-lee-os) are a small bread loaf sold in Mexican grocery stores. A bolillo is the Mexican version of the hoagie. I don’t know what the caloric data is on the bolillo but it sure makes for a good sandwich.
Both bolillos and gringo have entered the vernacular in Spanish when referring to white people. I guess they had fewer syllables than Americano.

If gringo was such a derogatory term I would not refer to my bi-racial grand kids as “my gringitos”.

MADD MEXX

No comments:

Post a Comment