Friday, February 3, 2012

Skepticism Is Next to Godliness

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787


I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine. Bertrand Russell

Daughter number 2 once asked me if she should question her parents. My response was “Of course”. Parents like everyone else have an agenda. I don’t believe that the good book meant that children should blindly honor their parents. What if the parents are thieves or worse, murderers; should a child honor their parents’ wishes? I think not.

I thank “god” my daughters are free thinkers and are successfully following their own path.

I know older people who are stuck in antiquated thinking because mom or dad believed such and such. They do not want to admit that mom and dad might have been ignorant. My parents were ignorant through no fault of their own. They had been conditioned NOT to question their elders.

The problem with America as I see it is that no one seems to have critical thinking. Folks have let the preacher, news person or politician take over their brains. Seems like “American Idol” or “Survivor” is the most important thing in their lives.

And then they keep bitching about the country going to hell. Wake up; think for yourself, fool.

As Voltaire said, "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

MADD MEXX

No comments:

Post a Comment