Sunday, November 27, 2011

Love or Fear

It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.- Niccolo Machiavelli 

The best course I took in college was “An Introduction to Philosophy”. I knew then I was not off kilter although some folks have that opinion of me already.

The second best had to be “Argumentation and Debate”. I’ve stated elsewhere that I had to debate the pros AND the cons of gun control. Winning both sides of the argument showed me it is possible to bring people to your point of view if you are persuasive.

Which brings me to the conclusion that liberals exist in a different universe. I am reminded of Barack Obama’s jihadist speech when he said, “If you will unclench your fist..yada,yada,yada.” Kind of reminded me of the kid that would give up his lunch money even before he was threatened with an ass kicking.

Liberals would rather be loved than feared. Love cannot buy security. Only fear of getting your ass whipped serves as a deterrent. But, as Machiavelli eloquently states, care must be taken to insure that fear does not turn into hatred. Because then all bets are off.

Most folks dismiss “the Prince” as a guide book for tyrants. It’s true that Hitler and Stalin and other lesser tyrants used “The Prince” as a blueprint to murder and enslave. I believe Ronald Reagan unknowingly used “The Prince” in formulating his Star Wars missile defense to put the Russians on notice that he was no Jimmy Carter.

Fear can work at many levels. Personally, I’d rather be feared than loved.

MADD MEXX

No comments:

Post a Comment