Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fair and Equal

He who seeks equality seeks an absurdity.

I can’t remember who wrote that; probably Will Durant, but I can’t be sure.

When daughter #2 was a pre-teen, she was whining about something not being fair. I told her, “Get used to it, kid. Life never is and never was fair.”

To which my wife responded, “That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard. You’re hurting your daughter’s self esteem.”

Again I replied, “If life was fair there would be no small gave markers in the cemetery. These poor children never got a chance to grow up.”

I’m glad my daughter listened to her dad and not her mom. I’ve always preached that there will always be someone smarter, stronger and better than you. If you’ve done your best and you know it really was your best, then pick yourself up and go on.

There are way too many people in America unhappy because of this self esteem thing. I heard Dr. Laura comment once that real self esteem comes from doing something really well. And no one can take that away from you.

MADD MEXX

No comments:

Post a Comment