Friday, March 16, 2012

Fit or Fat

Go into Barnes and Noble or do a search on Amazon and you are presented with hundreds of choices on healthy cooking, dieting or fitness. They all promise miracles with very little on your part.

I read an article over 50 years ago, probably in Readers Digest that the cure for a healthy body was to either to eat less or get more exercise. Nothing has changed in the intervening years.

I have never forgotten that article but it wasn’t until I had a stroke that the full impact finally hit me. I’ve had spurts where I would jog or exercise then fall back to drinking beer. It’s only beer, right?

Same goes for eating. Pizza, fried chicken, chicken fried steak, tacos, hamburgers, shakes, French fries. And, of course, beer.

I see pictures of myself from just a few short years back and man; I was fat; not obese but an unhealthy fat. I haven’t fully recovered from my stroke and I don’t know if I ever will. I sold my guns because I know I cannot get out into the woods like I would like. I don’t blame anyone but myself thinking I was bullet proof.

I motivate myself to go walking or to the gym. I walk around my neighborhood because if I walk a mile I know I have to walk back. It’s not as easy as just getting off the tread mill.

I have to remind myself that the extra weight didn't magically appear. I put on that weight by having certain habits, not exercising, eating an unhealthy diet, or not getting rid of stress.

Take this as gospel and act accordingly

MADD MEXX

No comments:

Post a Comment