Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hero

As I sit down to write this post, I am 70 years old. I want my children and grand children to know that their grandfather and great grandfather was a hero. No, he didn’t have super powers but he was a REAL hero just the same.

My daddy never earned more than $50.00 a week yet he managed to support a wife and two kids and on some occasions, my mom’s sister and her kids. My parents would later adopt two of the girls.

He built our home in the evenings after supper. My brother and I were too young to be of much help. We were poor and didn’t know it. He couldn’t do that now a days because of building permits and codes and such things. Progress is good but sometimes it’s at the expense of personal initiative and motivation.

I sometimes find myself comparing myself to my Dad and find myself falling short. I did not come to realize until later in life that my Dad was a true hero.

                                                                     MADD MEXX

No comments:

Post a Comment