Saturday, June 1, 2013

This Could Be Heaven, This Could Be Hell


Ah, the 70s and 80s. Seems like the best music produced was during this period. I won’t even count country as it seems to be a perennial favorite.

This post isn’t even about the Hotel California. I just liked the words for a title.

When you get old, seems like you have more time to philosophize. Since I don’t drink, golf or watch sports, I have a whole lot of time to ponder the mysteries of life.

For a lack of a better word, I want to share my thoughts on fate. The ancient Greeks believed there were three goddesses or Fates and that man was powerless in determining his destiny.

Maybe I’m a little mad for spending my time thinking about the past and how I arrived at this point. What if my mom had told my dad, “Not tonight, dear”? Or if my dad had married a different woman? What if I had never met my wife? What if I’d had different parents? What if I had had sons and not daughters? I think I would have been a lousy father.

Would Oprah be a one name dynamo if she hadn’t bombed as an anchor in Boston and since she couldn’t be fired because she was under contract and the station had to come up with something else for her?

I believe there are hundreds of thousands of talented people the world over that will die in obscurity because fate did not smile kindly on them. I’m reminded of the winners on America Has Talent that would never had their 15 minutes of fame had they not appeared on that show.

I’m reminded of the movie “Sliding Doors”. This from Netflix, “Two wholly different universes unfold …. about alternate realities, the reliability of subway schedules and the role fate plays in shaping random lives.”

I’m betting 98% of folks go about life with nary a thought of what might have been or what life altering event may be just ahead. I for one wonder how my life might have been without my wife (not very good) or if I had finished high school or graduated from college or gone into the service.

Too many possibilities to spend so much time on. Fate is an unforgiving bitch.

MADD MEXX

No comments:

Post a Comment